20-HOUR NABCEP ADVANCED PV SYSTEMS AND THE 2017 NEC
PHOTOVOLTAICS AND THE 2017 NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE
Instructor: Sean White Subjects: Solar: Design and Installation Length: 1 module
74 students have taken this course
The 2017 National Electric Code (NEC) is here and the adoption cycle has begun. This course is jam-packed with 2017 NEC insight and interpretation. Sean compares and contrasts the 2014 NEC to the 2017 NEC, with special emphasis on the rapid shutdown and interconnection requirements of the Code.
PV is on the cover of the NEC and there are new articles affecting the industry, such as 691 Large-Scale PV Electric Supply Stations, 706 Energy Storage Systems, 710 Stand-Alone Systems, 712 DC Micro-Grid Systems.
NABCEP has also now adopted the code and NEC 2017 is now in use on the NABCEP PV Installation Professional Certification Exam. This course is now completely updated with videos and materials needed to prepare for the new NABCEP exam covering the 2017 NEC.
There are many changes in the 2017 NEC. Everything that you thought you knew about grounding has functionally changed. 1500V systems, voltage and current definitions, labeling, be prepared!
Ready To Sign Up Today? Click Here to Enroll
Self Paced Online Course
This online course is self-paced. You can begin instantly upon enrollment.
Access Information and Build Your Training Library
After enrolling, the course materials will remain in your account and be accessible 12 months (1 year) after enrollment. Access can be extended beyond 1 year with a monthly membership. Rewatch videos and review assignments as many times as you want. View updates the instructor makes to the course as the industry advances. Return to your course anytime with online access from anywhere in the world.
Earn A Certificate of Completion
When you complete this course you are eligible for a certificate of completion from HeatSpring. You can download your certificate as soon as you have completed all of the course requirements. Students can easily share their verified certificates on their LinkedIn profiles using our LinkedIn integration.
Earn Continuing Education Credits
Self Report with Certificate: NABCEP Advanced Credit Hours, NABCEP NEC, NABCEP JTA, NABCEP RE Elective, NABCEP Building or Fire Code, NABCEP PV Associate Renewal.
Approved NABCEP CEU Hours by Credential and Category
2014 IREC Trainer of the Year
Welcome - Orientation Materials
This course is self-paced, so you don’t need to be logged in at any specific time. You can get started immediately after you enroll and the course materials will remain in your account with minimum guaranteed access for 12 months (1 year) after enrollment.
2017 NEC Free Download and reading assignment (Resource)
Introduction to HeatSpring (Video - 01:25 minutes) PREVIEW
NABCEP and US jurisdiction adoption of the 2017 NEC (Text)
Set up email notifications and your student profile (Text)
Purchase PV and the NEC 1st Ed. (2017 NEC)-Read Chapter 1 (Resource)
Introduce yourself on the discussion board (Text)
Optional: Purchase a copy of "Solar PV Engineering and Installation: Preparation for the NABCEP PV Installation Professional Certification" 2nd Edition. (Download .pdf)
Live Online Proctoring (LOP) for All NABCEP Exams! (Text)
Module 1 - 2017 National Electric Code (NEC)
- Free Digital Version of the 2017 NEC and NEC Reading Assignment (Resource)
- 2017 NEC Video 1 - Intro to 690.2 (Video - 18:42 minutes)
- Read Chapter 2 in "Photovoltaic Systems and the National Electric Code (PV and the NEC)" - Article 690 photovoltaic systems part II circuit requirements (Text)
- 2017 NEC Video 2 - 690.7 Voltage (Video - 16:59 minutes)
- 2017 NEC Video 3 - 690.8 Current (Video - 22:18 minutes)
- 2017 NEC Video 4 - 690.9 Overcurrent Protection (Video - 14:13 minutes)
- 2017 NEC Video 5 - 690.10 Stand-Alone Systems and 690.11 DC Arc-Fault Protection (Video - 06:00 minutes)
- Read Chapter 3 in "Photovoltaic Systems and the National Electric Code (PV and the NEC)" - Section 690.12 rapid shutdown (Text)
- 2017 NEC Video 6 - 690.12 Rapid Shutdown Showdown Part 1 (Video - 21:12 minutes)
- 2017 NEC Video 6 - 690.12 Rapid Shutdown Showdown Part 2 (Video - 25:23 minutes)
- Read Chapter 4 in "Photovoltaic Systems and the National Electric Code (PV and the NEC)" - Article 690 part III disconnecting means (Text)
- 2017 NEC Video 7 - 690 Part III Disconnecting Means (Video - 19:32 minutes)
- Read Chapter 5 in "Photovoltaic Systems and the National Electric Code (PV and the NEC)" - Article 690 part IV wiring methods (Text)
- 2017 NEC Video 8 - 690 Part IV Wiring Methods (Video - 30:06 minutes)
- Read Chapter 6 in "Photovoltaic Systems and the National Electric Code (PV and the NEC)" - Article 690 part V grounding and bonding (Text)
- 2017 NEC Video 9 - 690 Part V Grounding and Bonding (Video - 34:47 minutes)
- Read Chapter 7 in "Photovoltaic Systems and the National Electric Code (PV and the NEC)" - Article 690 part VI to the end of 690 (Text)
- 2017 NEC Video 10 - 690 Part VI to End of Article 690 (Video - 23:03 minutes)
- Read Chapter 8 in "Photovoltaic Systems and the National Electric Code (PV and the NEC)" - Article 691 large-scale photovoltaic (PV) electric power production facility (Text)
- 2017 NEC Video 11 - 691 Large-Scale Photovoltaic (Video - 19:10 minutes)
- Read Chapter 9 in "Photovoltaic Systems and the National Electric Code (PV and the NEC)" - Article 705 interconnected electric power production sources (Text)
- 2017 NEC Video 12 - 705 Interconnected Power Production Sources (Video - 58:00 minutes)
- Practice Exam 70 Questions (Quiz)
Feedback and Additional Resources
This is our last module but you still have access to the all of course materials for 12 months (1 year), so keep working and you'll be able to complete the course at your own pace. After your year of access expires you can optionally extend access with a HeatSpring Membership. Enjoy the course and keep in touch!
- Feedback: 2-minute Exit Survey (Survey)
- Certificate of Completion: Request a Certificate (Certificate)
- Corona Announcement: All NABCEP Exams can be taken at home (Text)
Mr. Jun Yin